Hen Wild Rice Soup
That is really the last word hen wild rice soup recipe! It’s filled with tons of veggies, wild rice, shredded hen, and a yummy creamy broth.
Final Hen Wild Rice Soup
Soup for days you say? That’s proper! This traditional hen wild rice soup recipe offers you sufficient meals for days as a result of boy does it make 6 hefty servings. And also you guess your bippy you may as well simply double or triple this recipe.
This hen wild rice soup is considered one of our hottest soup recipes. We love how hearty it’s made with cooked wild rice, hen breast, tons of veggies and probably the most scrumptious creamy broth.
Plus, we’re large wild rice followers and it really does make creamy hen wild rice soup considered one of our favourite soups!
Why you’ll find it irresistible!
There are many hen wild rice soup recipes on the web, however till you’ve had ours, you’re lacking out.
- Superb meal prep: Hen wild rice soup is a superb meal prep concept as a result of it should actually offer you soup for days. This specific recipe serves 6 and you may simply double it and freeze for later!
- Wholesome: Our hen wild rice soup recipe is made with lean shredded hen, wild rice, and tons of veggies making it excessive in protein and fiber.
- Made very quickly! In lower than 45 minutes you’ll be able to have dinner on the desk!
Hen and Wild Rice Soup Elements
This hen wild rice soup is filled with easy, actual substances that come collectively to take advantage of nourishing soup:
- Boneless, skinless hen breast: we’re us -ing hen breast on this recipe, however you possibly can all the time swap for hen thighs in the event you like darkish meat higher.
- Hen broth: hen broth is a superb base for this recipe as a result of it actually does improve the hen taste of the soup.
Selfmade Hen Broth
Make this do-it-yourself hen broth and use it in your favourite soup recipe! This broth is probably the most flavorful hen broth on the web. You should use it in soups, chilis, sauces, and extra!
- Wild rice – we’re protecting issues easy and utilizing cooked wild rice. So, you’ll be able to both precook do-it-yourself wild rice OR you should purchase store-bought cooked wild rice for ease.
One factor we love about this soup is which you could just about add any veggie your coronary heart needs. Right here’s what we’re utilizing.
- White onion
- Inexperienced pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Chopped kale
Wish to add much more veggies? Strive including: celery, peas, or potatoes.
Spices, Seasonings & Contemporary Herbs
We’re all about flavorful soup. Whereas sometimes hen wild rice soup is fairly “vanilla,” ours is really filled with a lot superb taste.
- Worcestershire sauce: a splash of Worcestershire sauce provides scrumptious savory taste and simply the correct amount of vinegar.
- Contemporary thyme sprigs: contemporary thyme is a traditional wild rice soup taste.
- Salt and floor black pepper: all the time taste your soup to style! We advocate style testing your soup throughout all phases to ensure it’s correctly seasoned with salt and black pepper.
- Garlic powder: a bit of little bit of garlic does the soul good.
Roux AKA Creamy Broth
There’s brothy soup loves on the market and creamy soup lovers on the market. Hen wild rice soup is made with an incredible creamy broth and it’s truly actually primary and easy utilizing the next substances:
- Olive oil: we’re utilizing olive oil as our fats for the roux, however you’ll be able to all the time use butter as an alternative.
- White complete wheat flour: a bit of flour is what’s going to cream up this soup! We’re utilizing white complete wheat, however you may as well use all-purpose or gluten-free all-purpose flour, too.
- 2% milk: milk is used to assist create that creamy broth base.
Each soup deserves a secret ingredient and ours is Greek yogurt! As a substitute of utilizing heavy cream, we’re utilizing Greek yogurt to essentially cream issues up and add a pleasant steadiness to the entire flavors on this soup.
Essential suggestions: guarantee that if you add the Greek yogurt to the soup that it’s not boiling. Additionally, make sure that to make use of full-fat Greek yogurt. Should you do these 2 issues, the yogurt won’t curdle.
Simple Ingredient Swaps
Don’t fret in the event you don’t have every little thing this recipe requires! You may make simple substitutions or swaps and nonetheless find yourself with a scrumptious soup. Some simple swaps you may make:
- Greek yogurt –> Be at liberty to make use of bitter cream as an alternative and even 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- Hen broth –> Vegetable broth or beef broth
- Garlic cloves –> Granulated garlic powder will work
- White onion –> Yellow onion or pink onion
- Carrots –> Parsnips or one other root vegetable
- Inexperienced kale –> One other hearty inexperienced like purple kale or swiss chard
- Any greens –> Obtained additional veg available? Be at liberty so as to add any of the next: mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, and many others.
The way to Make a Roux
No have to be intimidated by the roux on this soup! You’ll whip it up no downside whereas the remainder of your soup cooks to perfection in these 5 simple steps. Plus, there isn’t any cornstarch concerned!
- In a medium saucepan (separate from the soup), you’ll warmth 1/4 cup olive oil over medium/excessive warmth.
- When the olive oil is aromatic, add flour to the saucepan and whisk the olive oil along with the flour till a paste kinds.
- Then, slowly whisk the milk into the combination, stirring constantly till the milk thickens (this normally takes 4-6 minutes).
- Take away from warmth and whisk the garlic powder, salt and pepper into the roux.
- You’ll add the roux into the soup on the very finish. Voila!
The way to Cook dinner Wild Rice – 2 Methods!
We stroll you thru. the 2 best methods we like to prepare dinner wild rice HERE, and you may select between:
- Prompt Pot wild rice
- Range prime wild rice
One other methodology in the event you’re searching for fast and simple is to purchase a packet of already cooked wild rice. Most main grocers carry it, and it really does make this portion of the recipe simple peasy.
Make it Gluten-Free
Hoping to make this creamy soup gluten-free? All you need to do is omit the Worcestershire sauce (we propose changing it with a splash of vinegar) and swap the white complete wheat flour for a gluten-free all-purpose flour.
Should you do these two issues, you ought to be good to go!
The way to Retailer Wild Rice Soup
Obtained leftovers? Listed below are a couple of storage tricks to observe to ensure your soup lasts for so long as potential!
Fridge: Switch the soup right into a glass container and seal tightly. Refrigerate for as much as 5 days.
The way to Freeze Gradual Hen Wild Rice Soup
- Let your soup cool fully earlier than transferring right into a freezer-safe gallon-size bag or Tupperware.
- Seal after which place within the freezer.
- Will final for as much as 3 months.
- To reheat, let thaw on the counter after which switch into a big pot on the range and even reheat in your sluggish cooker.
Hen Wild Rice Soup
Strive our creamy hen and wild rice soup recipe for a hearty, creamy soup that is loaded with veggies, wild rice and hen breast.
Cook dinner:45 minutes
Complete:1 hour 10 minutes
- 1- lb. boneless skinless hen breast
- 1 teaspoon salt separated
- 1/2 teaspoon floor pepper separated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 massive white onion minced
- 1 massive carrot lower into half-moons (~1 cup chopped)
- 1 massive inexperienced pepper diced
- 2 massive garlic cloves minced
- 8-10 sprigs contemporary thyme tied right into a bundle
- 4 cups hen broth
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 3 cups cooked wild rice ~1.5 cups, raw*
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
Start by seasoning the hen breasts with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Then, warmth a big dutch oven or stockpot over medium/excessive warmth. Add one tablespoon olive oil.
When the olive oil is aromatic, add the hen breast to the pot. Sear the hen breast for two minutes on either side. Take away from the pot (you do not need the hen to be absolutely cooked).
Add one other tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and add the onion, carrot, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
Add the inexperienced pepper, garlic, and remaining salt and pepper to the pot and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
Lastly, add hen breast, contemporary thyme bundle, and broth to the pot. Ensure the hen breast is submerged within the broth. Convey to a boil.
As soon as the boiling, cowl the pot and switch the warmth to low, and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
Whereas the soup is simmering, put together the roux. In a separate medium saucepan, warmth 1/4 cup olive oil over medium/excessive warmth.
When the olive oil is aromatic add the flour to the saucepan and whisk the substances collectively till a paste kinds.
Slowly whisk the milk into the combination, stirring constantly till the milk thickens. This normally takes 4-6 minutes.
Take away from warmth and whisk the garlic powder, salt, and pepper into the roux.
As soon as the soup has simmered for 10 minutes, take away the hen from the pot and shred the hen. Put aside.
Place the kale, cooked wild rice, and Worcestershire sauce into the pot and stir till the kale wilts.
Then, add the Greek yogurt and the roux to the pot and blend till mixed.
Add the shredded hen to the soup, combine, deliver to a simmer so all substances are heat.
Serve and revel in!
Suggestions & Notes
- When including the Greek yogurt, guarantee that your soup isn’t boiling. Additionally, full-fat Greek yogurt is necessary too. Should you do these two issues, your yogurt won’t curdle within the soup.
Energy: 352kcal Carbohydrates: 26g Protein: 28g Fats: 13g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g